Monday 27 October 2014

Padding! Practise makes perfect!



I have been very excited to start padding as my favourite hair style is a volumed 'big hair' look.
Also most women in the Elizabethan Era had Volumed padded out hair.

This was my very first attempt at parting and curling the hair before i put the padding in. I was very happy with this as my first time. Although next time i need to make sure i get the parting correct. The parting in this photograph is not inline with the nose as i did not take this into consideration. However i have put the tail of the comb on the head where the parting should be next time. Practice makes perfect!

Below is a practise of what 'could' be a final design of my Elizabethan hair. Obviously there is room for perfecting this. I took about an inch for the forehead to curl, and the rest i have crimped to give the hair more volume before i put the padding in. I have chose to do this hairstyle as in the Elizabethan Era they had padded out hair with crimps and curls. This however, was my first time using padding and i am happy with this.
Below is one of my favourite styles i have created. Here i have created this look by crimping the hair from an inch after the hairline starts then placed padding under the crimped hair. I then curled the front with barrel curls and turned them into pin curls. I like the idea i have created here so much i think it would be great to used as my final hair outcome. I was also thinking of placing pearls in every pin curls to make this a more elaborated look.


Heart shaped padding

We have also been looking at the Elizabethan Heart shaped hair. This was very popular in the elizabethan Era, especially for the high class people and noble people.

In todays lesson I created a heart shaped Elizabethan style hair using padding and crimping, I also made a bun under the padding.

Today I started by sectioning the hair. I sectioned the hair across from ear to ear. Then i crimped the front section of the hair. I crimped the front section of the hair as this is a very Elizabethan look and crimping makes the hair thinker so the padding would be hidden more.


This shows the front section of the hair crimped:                    This shows the sectioning of the hair clearer:

This is the bun I made, i made this using the barrel curl technique that is in the bun post. I made a bun as at the end result I will be hiding the front section of the hair under the bun the hide it once the hair has gone over the padding:


The photograph below shows how I made a plait to support the padding. I started from just about the crown on the head to right and as my model had long hair I had to bring the plait back onto itself again.
The reason I made this plait is so when I put the curbie grips into the tights i can also put the grip through the plait. This makes the padding secure so the hair does not fall out.
I only put the grip through the plait half way because I need to turn the grip round. This also makes the padding more secure.


The photograph below shows my positioning of the padding on the head. This is also what the padding looks like. In this padding I have used couch roll and I have put this in tights.



After I had the padding in place I brought the back of the hair that was under the plaits over the front of the padding to hide that hair and give the hair extra volume and to also hide the padding.



The is the same photograph stage as above, but different view:



Below i have repeated the other side of the head and bought the hair together. You can see that there is a gap in the middle of the hair. This is because I have placed the padding on the hair too far back.



Below I have opened the middle of the hair to show you that I need to bring the padding closer to the hair in future.



This shows you the parting clearly.



I was very please with my first attempt of the heart shaped hair done with padding. I am very pleased as this is my first attempt of the whole style.

In the future, to make this style look more professional, I will apply the padding first and then create the bun after. This is because in this class I did the bun first and I ruined the bun through the process of applying the padding.



Padding that was worn in the Elizabethan Era

Heart-Shaped padding

"The Ermine Portrait" 
by an Unknown Artist, c. 1585
[Viewed on 4th December]

Above is an example of a heart-shaped padding. We only really have heart shaped padding now on catwalks and shows. This is not an everyday hairstyle anymore for this Era. However, this was very popular in the Elizabethan Times.



Round padding




Armada Portrait, c.1590.
Artist Unknown.
[Viewed on 4th December 2014]


Above is the "Armada Portrait". You can see here how their hair used to look in a round-shaped padding.

No comments:

Post a Comment